Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Harrisonburg Farmers Market

Just imagine: The leaves are starting to change, the weather's getting cooler and the pumpkin spice lattes has become you drink of choice. You don't quite need a heavy coat, but there is a cool breeze provoking you to drag out that bin full of cozy sweaters,scarf's and most importantly... your snuggie.
Want to get into that festive Autumn Mood? Be sure to stop at the Harrionburg Farmer's Market.

This past weekend my roommate and I decided to take advantage of the gorgeous fall weather, so we ventured out to the Harrisonburg Farmers Market we've been hearing about all year.
Located right behind Dave's to the left of South Main it is perfectly situated for a stroll around the downtown area after your visit.

In typical Harrionburg fashion, we were welcomed by friendly vendors and a lively bluegrass band. At first glance, I was skeptical on what I would find; due to the market's somewhat small size, but I was happy to discover that it is definitely not short on great locally made products.


My first stop was to grab a hot cup of dark roast coffee from Grains of Sense for $2.00. As a coffee addict, starting off my stroll with a great cup of joe set the tone for the morning.

Locally grown fall produce dominated the vendors. Sweet potatoes, squash, zucchini, gourds, pumpkins radiated that special fall feelings directly from the tables. Impressive jewelry stands (specializing in unique gemstones and turquoise), clothing, craft and gift stands also held a strong presence. The first stand we stopped at contained homemade lotions and lip balm called Pure and Simple Farm. Green Haven Farm Cheeses had homemade goat cheese that was simply amazing (and free taste tests!) branch out and try some!

As we continued our tour, the scent of the stereotypical country breakfast wafted through the air, making my roommate and I regret eating before we went. Next to the breakfast stand were mouthwatering breads(more food samples!) and baked goods from Willow Run Bakery (pies, donuts, scones, cookies, cakes and pretty much anything you can imagine)

My roommate and I went to every stand, talked to a couple of locavores, tasted a couple of new foods and were there for less than half an hour. It is one of those activities that you can do in 15 minutes or spend the entire afternoon.

I am beyond excited to go back next week (October 30th) for the Autumn Celebration and Customer Appreciation Day. According to the website there will be free hot drinks, carriage rides, balloons, more music and much more in addition to other Downtown activities.

This farmer's market is a perfect activity to bring your parents to or a great thing to do on a lazy Saturday morning with friends.

When you do go be sure to bring some cash. Everything is pretty cheap- for about $10.00 you can get a huge breakfast, a pumpkin to take home, and dessert....and when I say dessert, I mean a full size pie.


When I go back:
1. I am definitely not eating before so I can get a country breakfast from the stand in the back. You'll easily be able to find it,(just follow your nose) and a pastry from Willow Run Bakery. There is a green lawn next to the Market, perfect for a picnic.

2. I am definitely going to buy a lip balm from the Pure and Simple Farm stand and pick up some fall flowers from the Willow Spring Farm.


Also, make sure you check out the website! Its really easy to follow and goes in depth on each vendor and what they specialize in!

No comments:

Post a Comment